Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Restaurant Review: Acadiana

On Friday night, I went to one of DC’s best kept secrets – a discreet, but elegant, restaurant near Penn Quarter called Acadiana. As you probably know by now, I eat out a lot, and I’m always checking Washingtonian magazine and Opentable.com to find out where the best ‘eats’ are in the area. I have no idea how I missed this place.

Acadiana’s menu is Louisiana inspired, which I thought was brilliant as I was an avid viewer of this past season’s Top Chef (where one of the last challenges was all about Louisiana’s cuisine).

This place has a really ‘old world’ feel, with it’s display of chandeliers, large vases, white table cloths, dark cherry-wood accents, and dim lighting. But somehow, this restaurant is cozy, and not stuffy.

My reservation was honored on time, at 8pm sharp. The wait staff was polite, and incredibly helpful in assisting us with selections.

The seafood crepe gratin was to die for. The seafood filling was cooked to perfection with a kick of hot spices, and the crepe itself was light and fluffy. Oddly enough, just one of these would suffice for a lunch entrée. Our waiter mentioned that this dish was the most ordered appetizers on the menu. I can see why.

For the main course, I ordered my tried and true signature dish – crab cakes. I always judge a restaurant’s quality by how they make their crab cakes. I am after all from Maryland – I take crab seriously! Obviously the meat was not Maryland blue crab, but it was on par. The crab cakes were full of lump crab meat, and not a lot of filler – just how I like it. I ordered Red Beans and Rice as a side, and they were delightful. Very spicy, very robust.

For dessert, I ordered the warm raisin bread pudding. If I died Friday night, I would have died happy because of this dessert. It was perfect, and a great end to a fantastic meal.

The only con I found was regarding the drinks (wine and cocktails). They were quite expensive, and quite ordinary. I was really bummed they didn’t any Riesling by the glass, only by the bottle. But, I guess that is the ‘norm’ these days, which is why I drink most of my cocktails and wine at home.

If you’re looking for some down-home, southern cooking done right – this restaurant is your place. Don’t pass on the Red Beans and Rice!

No comments: