Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Monark Design Studio gets a Facelift

One of my goals this year was to revamp the corporate identity for my freelance business – Monark Design Studio. I’ve put it off for nearly two years. As a designer, I find it really hard to ‘design’ for myself. I’m more critical of my work, I can’t seem to narrow down my color scheme (because there are so many colors I love), and it’s hard for me to narrow down a final idea/concept. I don’t know why it’s so much easier designing for paying clients.

So far I’m on a roll! I’ve redesigned my logo, revised my main contract, contract addendum (for added projects to the same client), CD art (covers/labels), address labels, mailing labels, Proof Approval form, Production Agreement form, Thank you cards, Estimate request sheet, and Spec Sheet.

All I have left to design are my business cards (which I’m looking into some cool foil stamping options), a booklet of company ‘services’ and ‘samples’, and custom envelopes.

Also on my agenda is updating my resume, resume website, and portfolio book. In this day of economic instability, it is always best to stay prepared for the worst. Right now, I don’t think my job in jeopardy, but things can change instantly. So, I want to make sure I’m up and running in case I have to temporarily default to freelance work for income, but I also want to make sure my resume/portfolio are top notch for any potential job hunt or interview.

Take a look at my new logo. The top portion is a stylized “M”. I’m still trying to decide whether I want the stylized “M” to be a different color from the ornament base or not. I thought a logotype would work best, instead of reverting to the predictable “crown” or “butterfly” symbol for my company name. The curls in the lettering are inspired by my favorite art movement – Art Nouveau. No need to critique it – I’m keeping it whether you like it or not. =)

No comments: