Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Chima Brazilian Steakhouse

This weekend, I used no restraint in what I ate. I ate out practically every night, the portions were large and the bills were high. Hitting the gym this week is necessary.

One regret I do not have is, going to
Chima Brazilian Steakhouse for Restaurant Week. Many people in the area still haven’t heard about this place, but it’s very similar to the slightly more well known local rival, Fogo De Chao.

The concept is the same – each patron is given a little personal dining ‘sign’. When flipped on one side, your table is surrounded by a parade of waiters slicing and serving up 16 types of rotisserie meats. Flip the cap over again, and the circus stops. If you opt to mix in some veggies, salad, or rice with your meal, a hefty salad bar is offered.

I made the rookie mistake of loading up on the salad bar before sampling the rotisserie meats. After polishing off some superb roasted eggplant and traditional rice and black beans, I flipped my trust sign to signal the ‘meat parade’.

Out of all 16 meats, I tried the Leg of Lamb, Beef Ribs, Lamb Chops, Top Sirloin, Flank Steak and Ribeye - but the Filet Mignon was by far the best. All meats are very tender, and seasoned enough to skip any A1 steak sauce. Next time, I’ll be sure to try the salmon and swordfish, which I heard are superb. This is one advantage
Chimas has over Fogo De Chao – seafood options.

This place is excellent for people that have a big appetite, or simply for those who’ve always wanted to compare/contrast various cuts of meat. Large group dining is encouraged, although the ambience is charming enough for a romantic dinner for two. Ultimately though, this place is a haven for gluttony. There should really be a disclaimer that says “Warning: Overeating at
Chima’s may cause the “Meat Sweats”. I was quite swollen when I left.

It’s so easy to over-do-it since it’s basically an ‘all-you-can-eat’ steakhouse. Since it was Restaurant Week, we paid roughly $35.09 per person. Normally the price is about $50 per person – also the same as Fogo De Chao.

One of these days, I’ll try 'Fogo' just so I can compare the two venues. But until then, I think
Chima’s will be another one of my local favorites. Especially since they also make a killer Amoretto Sour.

No comments: