Friday, February 13, 2009

Mickey Mouse - Here I Come

Guess where I’m going this weekend?? Disney on Ice!My sister and I are taking my niece and nephew to Disney on Ice at Verizon Center. I don’t think I’m been to the icecapades since I was about 10 (I think it was a Gumby show, or perhaps Barbie...).
I’m really nonschelant about it now, but I bet I’ll get really excited once I see Ariel the Little Mermaid. lol.

I noticed that this show is organized by Feld Entertainment, one of the local coordinators/creators in ice shows and circus' in the DC area. Funny, I interviewed with them a few years ago. I was fresh out of college, and applied to their Mid-Level Designer position. I was quite suprised when I recieved a call to interview. This place was an Illustrator/Designer's heaven, especially if they love all things Disney or Pixar. One of my jobs would have been to draw Disney characters on various promotional items, like mugs, t-shirts, etc. It was key that I could draw majority of Disney's characters accurately. That was a synch, since that's what I had been drawing (in addition to X-Men stuff) since I was a kid. Perfect Job. And there were toys everywhere, and storyboards for ice shows all over the walls. This job was so ideal, I almost peed myself when they gave me the office tour.

Sadly though, I didnt get the job. I didnt have enough previous design/illustrating experience for the position, despite the fact that I had a great portfolio. I didnt blame them though, that position was for a seasoned professional - which I wasnt at the time.

Hm, maybe now I should give it a try and see if they have openings. Who wouldn't love to draw Mickey Mouse all day long AND get paid for it!

No comments: