Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Do Good Movie Posters = Good Films?

Lately, I’ve been pretty impressed by movie posters. They’ve really come a long ways, and some actually display some incredible design elements:

I came across the posters for some movie called “Blindness”. I think the official one is the poster on the right. The poster on the left is pretty uncreative. It’s clearly a blatant rip off of an optometrist Snellen chart. What a typical, and overly realistic interpretation of the movie title! I bet the designer who created this thing made thousands of dollars.

I wonder if movie/production companies realize that a percentage of the population – like myself – may decide to see a movie if they are drawn in by the poster. Personally, I do not always choose to see a film based on storyline and actor/actress selection alone. Despite the great lack of budget for most indie films, it seems they invest more time, effort and creativity to designing a stellar movie poster.

Next indie film on my roster – ‘The Secret Life of Bees’.
Best indie movie of all time – The Waitress

3 comments:

Joellyn said...

I always think it's really corny when the actors on the posters look at the camera. Remember the poster for 'Runaway Bride'? Julia Roberts is wearing a wedding gown, tying on sneakers, flashing you this big I-bet-you're-wondering-what-I'm-about-to-do smile. It's like no, I'm not, because there are these big words above your head saying "RUNAWAY BRIDE".

Jeope said...

Usually, the bigger the movie, the more fingers in the pie – right down to the poster – resulting in design by committee. The Blindness poster on the left is actually smarter than the one on the right, which succumbed to the blasé line-your-actors-in-a-row syndrome.

Ginger n Matt said...

I had to comment on "The Waitress" because I love that movie to pie crust crumbs! Since we bought the DVD I think I have watched it at least 5 times - which is a lot for me because we are movie-holics and have waaay too many! When we first netflixed it I fell in love with how the pie scenes were shot :D and had to have it - that and the song, and Nathan Fillion haha.

I agree -so much- about movie posters, I can be swayed to see movies I would have otherwise not have seen if I admire the poster art or artist. (I am a sucker for Drew Struzan !)