Tuesday, August 19, 2008

‘Discover’ Me!!

Everyday I ride by the Discovery Channel building at Silver Spring station. I basically drool on the window as I longingly wish that I had a job there. In my opinion, ‘Discovery’ is the best local company anyone could work for. Their location is awesome – only 15min from my home. They have a private parking garage – so the employees don’t have to park at metro. They have a phenomenal graphic design team. They pay well, have great benefits, and is one of the most desired companies in the DC metro area.

Unfortunately, they rarely hire graphic designers directly. I’ve heard they use Aquent, but hardly any of their designers quit, so they never have openings. I’m sure that even if they did, the job is filled by the ‘buddy system’ – someone in there knows someone, and their friends get job. Come on Discovery – I’m a great designer. I’ll work overtime. I watch shark week!

Don’t get me wrong – I’m happy to work where I do right now, and even have a job in this poor economy – but a girl can dream right? Until some miracle happens and Discovery actually looks at my resume, I guess I’ll continue to drool on the train window.


No comments: