Sunday, August 24, 2008

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

On Friday, a few girlfriends and I went to 'happy hour' around 5:30pm. It lasted until 11:30pm. We had a lot of catching up to do, and were happy to down a few long island iced teas, amoretto sours, and margaritas. During the conversation, one of my friends mentioned that she's moving to California in October! I'm sad to hear she's leaving, but I'm ecstatic that she's going to move out of the area and experience something new. I credit myself to giving her the 'travel bug' a few years ago.

I'm a firm believer that everyone should travel, if not move away from their home town all together. There's nothing like meeting new people, hearing new languages, and living like a 'local' in a different area. If I hadn't gotten married when I did, I guarentee I would have moved to England for at least a year.

In any case, the hubby has been talking about moving out of our area for some time now. We both grew up in Maryland and have lived here our whole lives. Truthfully, I've traveled to a lot of cities, and have not found one that compares to DC. But maybe I should take him up on the offer to try out a new city for a year or two. I'm 27, and have no kids. What do we have to lose? Right now, we've narrowed down the choices to Colorado, Hawaii, Los Angeles or Chicago.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! You're going to leave us!!! Well...I know you love to travel, so I shouldn't be surprised. AND...if you move to those places...I'll have friends I can stay with...and do some cheap traveling myself. But wow!! Well...I know you two will make the right decision!

Stephy404 said...

Well...you'll have us for a little while. We havent made a decision yet - but I'm sure we will eventually. Next 3yrs at least.

Joellyn said...

that would be cool. JR and I love it when our friends move away. That way, we have a place to come visit!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Colorado, but that might be because I actually spent a long period of time there and didn't just travel there. I like cities, but I find that I enjoy visiting them more. Chicago is one of my favorite cities, but I never feel home-like when I'm there. :) It's really great that you guys are going to be making a decision like this together and that you're not just moving because of a job. Good luck figuring it out.