Tuesday, June 23, 2009

DC Metro Train Accident

As you can expect, all of DC is buzzing about the train collision yesterday on the metro system. Two trains heading toward DC collided. Apparently, the first train was stopped, and the second train plowed into the rear of the first train. My heart goes out to those affected by this accident – especially ones who possibly lost loved ones. This is truly one of my worst fears. I ride metro everyday to work, and I always fear a horrific accident on the rail system – be it an accident or terrorist attack.

First off, I’m truly irritated by the lack of information given by Metro yesterday afternoon. As I approached the Red Line station to head home, there wasn’t much of an indication that anything horrible had happened. Yes, there was a notice of a delay, but no station manager/employee available to give further information. I knew there was a problem because I overheard other people’s conversations. Then suddenly, my phone alerted with 10 emails and about 15 text messages from friends and family asking if I was ok. At that point, no one was sure if the trains were headed downtown, or toward the suburbs. Utter confusion.

To get home, I met my mom who’s on the Blue/Orange line, so that my sister could pick us up. While waiting for an Orange/blue train, a metro employee said over the loudspeaker, “There are minor delays on the Red line. For details ask the station manager”. HELLO?! MINOR?? The delays were MAJOR!! The entire Red Line was shut down! But employees failed the mention that. They led us all to believe that the Red line was simply delayed and would resume service. I’m not saying they should have cause a mass panic, but they should at least have said, “There has been an accident on the Red line. All have trains have stopped. See station manager for alternate routes”.

Sometimes metro really frustrates me with their lack of communication, lack of detailed information, and incompetent employees. Some of them are such duds, I can’t believe our lives are in their hands.

All in all, I’m thankful that I got home ok, and that all my friends/family that ride the trains were not affected. Had the trains been headed toward the suburbs, they would have been packed to the brim, with passengers sitting and standing. I can’t imagine that devastation. Not to downplay this tragedy, but this incident could have really been worse. It’d odd when you ride the train. The person you’re sitting next to in the morning could be dead in the afternoon. It’s truly tragic to think about the irony. I’m thankful for everyday I ride the train without incident. But I have to admit, this has given me second thoughts about working in the city.

No comments: