Sunday, February 8, 2009

Persepolis

*(Be warned, this post is LONG)*

I’ve been dying to see this film since its 2007 release. Persepolis won plenty of awards, and even had an Oscar nomination. I’m always a sucker for independent films, and bonus – this one was animated! I watched this film with no pretense, as I had never read a synopsis of the plot. All I knew is that this film had to do with politics, and that is was based on an autobiographical graphic novel.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the film was in French, and subtitled in English. In my opinion, subtitled films always stay a little more true to the original story vs. English dubbed. I think Persepolis is offered in both formats, but I recommend the subtitled version.

In short, Persepolis is based on the life of an Iranian woman named Marjane Satrapi. The ‘present day’ scenes are in color, but Marjane’s memories (which is 90% of the film) is in black and white. At the age of 10, Marjane is a very precautious child with an appetite for learning about politics, and sharing her political views. During this time, there is an uprising in her area of Tehran against the Shah of Iran. Her family supports the uprising in hopes of a more just society in Iran as a whole.

Unfortunately, Islamic Fundamentalists win the political elections in Iran, and society is forced into repression. Many of Marjane’s freedoms are slowly taken away. Now she is forced to wear a mandatory head-covering, and adhere to the Fundamentalists new rules about female modesty. Eventually Marjane and her friends and family are horrifically shaken when the start of the Iran-Iraq war ensues.

At this time, Marjane is a typical pre-teen who loves western culture, adores Bruce Lee, and listens to Iron Maden. She is extremely outspoken, and is constantly in trouble because of her non-conformity. Fearing for her safety, Marjane’s parents send her to Vienna Austria to live with a family member.

From this point on, Marjane battles with the isolation of living as an Iranian woman abroad. Her likes, dislikes, values, and ideals are berated by the superficial people she meets, and eventually, Marjane heads on a down-ward spiral of disappointments and disillusionment, in love and life.

Her one constant stronghold through all of this, and also her ‘travelling conscience’, is her grandmother. Overall, this is a really touching story about, not only survival, but contentment. Trying to conform to a world where you are really the ‘odd-ball-out’. It’s about being nostalgic for the ‘good-ol-days’, while realizing that everything you know is crumbling around you. I know the story sounds a bit tragic, but it’s worth watching. There is quite a bit of humor sprinkled throughout the story as well.

I must admit that after watching Persepolis, I’m now even more aware of my ignorance of international affairs – especially those that went on (and are going on) in Iraq and Iran. This is the first film, let alone animated film, that really made me think, and made me more inquisitive about Middle Eastern affairs. Even though we hear about the Middle East all the time on the news, that area of the world is still so foreign to me. I also find myself more interested not only in Iran, but in Marjane Satrapi’s story. Her graphic novel is now on my ‘to read’ list.

I find it perfect that the producers/directors counted it beneficial to stay true to the graphic novel, and create this film as an animated feature vs. live action. The black and white portions of the film, as well as the simplicity of the drawings really add to the charm of this tale.

By the way, no one in the film or novel is named Persepolis. It is simply a reference to the Greek interpretation of the word Pārsa, which means "The City of Persians". “Persepolis” is located in modern day Iran.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have wanted to see this since it was in my local artsy theater. Unfortunately the viewing times didn't work out. Thanks for reminding me to pick it up! I was intrigued by the story!

Jeope said...

This is my favourite movie in years. Years! You should do yourself a favour and go find the book as well.