Thursday, February 5, 2009

Food Review: Pret A Manger

Have you heard of this place? I'm not even sure how to pronounce the name, but this new venue has been getting rave reviews. And bonus, they are from the UK. And we know only good stuff comes out of the UK, right? (Daniel Craig, Fish n' Chips, Sherlock Holmes, Flight of the Concords, Cadbury's Chocolates, etc.) You get the picture.

Located on 18th and I St. - at first glance,
PAM (what I'm calling it for short) looks a little like a ultra-trendy, minimalist French bakery, especially since authentic baguettes are the bread of choice. This place pride's itself on fresh, natural ingredients, with no fillers and no preservatives. That seems to be the trend these days in DC, but it’s still refreshing to have places like PAM in the midst of all the Subway Sub shops and PotBelly's. Fresh croissants are offered in the mornings, and range from simple croissants to Pain au Chocolat - which in my opinion, is the best you're going to get outside of Paris.

All sandwiches are lined up perfectly on display, and they, as well as the soups, are made fresh daily from
PAM's full-service kitchen. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any item on their menu, The 'Just Made Cubano' sandwich, and the 'Moroccan Lentil' soup are on my list for next visit. Fresh fruit, bagels, desserts, and Various smoothies are also offered.

Today I tried the Jalapeno Chicken wrap – which includes Bell & Evans chicken, melted Swiss cheese, red peppers, red onions, Pret seasoning and Jalapeno tomato sauce. This warm wrap was pure heaven – I’m officially addicted to this item.

Might I add, as a designer, I love the corporate identity of this place. Very modern, and avant-garde - with all the exposed metal, minimalist packaging, and large typefaces. I think I've found my new favorite lunch spot downtown. Tomorrow morning, I'll sample some of their fresh specialty coffees, as everyone knows I'm a major caffeine addict. I should probably give my money to someone else other than Starbucks.



1 comment:

Apposition eyes said...

Flight of the Concords would be from New Zealand - but we all sound the same so what the heck!