Thursday, January 8, 2009

Metro – You Drive me Insane

In light of the recent crime wave in the Wheaton area, my husband suggested that I pay a little extra and get a reserved parking permit for the ‘somewhat safer’ Glenmont Station.

Mind you, I live about 5min driving from Glenmont – however – I have to travel some 40min away to Wheaton to park and take metro, because the Glenmont parking fills up by 7am. I take the train at 8am/8:15am.

I called metro today to inquire about the Glenmont Reserved Parking. Hey, $55 a month, in addition to the regular parking fee, isn’t too bad I guess. Problem is – there are over 500 people on the waitlist for reserved parking at Glenmont. The next person to get the parking permit joined the list in 2003! Which means, it would be nearly 10+yrs before I could get a reserved parking pass. WHAT THE HECK?!

On top of that, plans for a new Glenmont parking garage has been scrapped. So everyone that lives close to Glenmont has to continue traveling to crime-ridden Wheaton to get to work.

I guess my options are:
- Go to Glenmont at 7am, and get to DC an hour before the start of my work day.

(mind you, my job will not let me adjust my work schedule. I have to work 9am-5:30pm)
- Drive into downtown DC each day, and pay for garage parking
- Find a new job within driving distance in the suburbs
- Buy a taser and pepper spray to protect myself at the Wheaton station.

(sigh)

No comments: