Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Out with the NEW, In with the Old

There’s an old saying that, ‘the friends that you make in your 20s, are the friends you’ll have for the rest of your life’. I used to be a skeptic, but now I believe this to be true.

When I was a teenager, I was obsessed with meeting new people. I was overly-extroverted, always organizing parties and dinners, and inviting as many new people as possible. It felt great to build new relationships and I always kept in touch with every person I met.

Now, on the verge of 30, I could care less.

I’m perfectly happy with my old friends. And, I’m more interested in continuing to cultivate those relationships. There’s nothing better than a few cocktails, and great conversation with old friends that you’ve known for years. There’s no pretense, there’s no judgment.

These days, I just don’t have the energy to be a 'social butterfly'. Friendships take time. You have to have an interchange of thoughts and experiences, you have to learn about the other person’s family, background, hopes, fears, etc. It can be exhausting!

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind meeting new people and I definitely don’t mind catching up with old acquaintances. I just don’t obsess as much about cultivating new friendships like I did in my teens. If I really hit it off with someone, and we become close friends – well and fine. If not, no big deal.

Is that wrong? Maybe the older I get, I’ve just learned to appreciate my old relationships even more. Or, maybe I’ve just turned into a major introvert that makes mostly ‘close acquaintances’ rather than ‘close friends’. Either way, I’m content.

No comments: