Thursday, November 6, 2008

A "Design" Blast from the Past

When I have downtime, I like to read some of the publications on NIH’s National Institutes of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) site. They have information on various diseases – some of which I find pretty fascinating.

Years ago, I worked for a company that had a design contract to manage some of NIAMS publications. As a Jr. Designer at the time, they enlisted me to design the template for their Spanish language publication series. It was one of my first big projects. I designed 3 templates. Each one was distributed to various panels of Hispanic nationals, and they chose which layout best represented the Spanish language community. I was so honored when one of my templates were chosen, and a Spanish language publication series was created using my template. The design was nothing ‘over the top’. After all – government agencies are quite conservative when it comes to design.

To my surprise, NIAMS still uses my design! I found their Spanish language publication series the other day, and felt a little honored that my template is still being used. I don’t mean to ‘toot my own horn’ or anything – but it definitely brightened my day.

(NIAMS Publications - Spanish) / (NIAMS Publications – English)

No comments: