Tuesday, October 7, 2008

'Novel' Recommendations

One thing I love about traveling is catching up on good books. I purchased two novels prior to my vacation – Sue Monk Kidd’s “The Secret Life of Bees” and Jane Green’s “Second Chance”.

I highly recommend the
Secret Life of Bees. The entire novel is engaging and heartwarming. Here’s the synopsis from Wikipedia:

“Set in South Carolina in 1964,
The Secret Life of Bees tells the story of Lily Owens, whose life is shaped by her blurred memory of the afternoon of her mother's accidental death. When Lily's black "stand-in mother," Rosaleen, insults three racists in town, they escape to Tiburon, South Carolina, a town that holds the secret to Lily's mother's past. Taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters, Lily is introduced to their mesmerizing world of bees and honey.”

I know the synopsis sounds a little silly, but the novel truly is excellent. Be sure to read this book soon. I hear they’ve already made it into a movie featuring Dakota Fanning as Lily. Movies never do a novel justice.

The other novel –
Second Chance – was utterly pathetic. Truthfully, I only got through the first chapter before I could no longer take the lackluster writing and shallow characters. The book appears to be about several estranged British schoolmates, who are all rich, successful, and glamorous. They come together to mourn a mutual friend’s death. Blah blah blah…Zzz..who cares. Worst book I ever spent $15 on. Skip it.

No comments: