Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Foodie Review: Urban BBQ

I think I have a problem.

I go through phases where I have obsessions with certain restaurants. For a while, I craved Cuba De Ayer’s garlic shrimp almost everyday, then it was Greek Village’s crab cakes, then Kenny’s Subs fish sub (which is now closed I might add), etc. etc.

My latest obsession – Barbecue! And only from the newly opened venue,
Urban BBQ. Urban BBQ is a sister company to Urban Burger

Currently there are only two locations for Urban BBQ (Rockville and Hillendale), but I would not be surprised if they expand very soon. This place has quickly been gaining in popularity. I’ve only been to the Hillendale location, and I’m so happy it’s only 10min from my house. The interior of this location is small - sporting only a few tables, and about 4 flat panel tv screens. I realized last Sunday when I went, that this place is a gathering spot among the local Redskins fans. What’s better than football and beer? Football, beer AND BBQ!

This place knows how to do BBQ just right. None of the barbecue items are completely drowned in sauce – there’s just the right amount of seasoning. All of the meat is tender, and never overcooked. Everything is made to order, so all your meals are fresh and hot. I especially love the ribs. They’re so tender, you could eat them with a fork and knife if you wanted! The barbecue chicken, brisket, and pulled pork are delightful. And if the barbecue sauce isn’t spicy enough for you, they also offer 4 homemade sauces that really pack a punch. I happen to love the ‘Carolina’ sauce, which is a mix of vinegar and spices.

This place is sparking a great debate among local BBQ lovers. Some say they rival with Famous Daves. But in my opinion, this place is hands-down MUCH better than Famous Daves, or any other local BBQ joint for that matter.


No comments: