Monday, August 11, 2008

Montgomery County Agricultural Fair

In the 10+ years I’ve lived in Montgomery County, I had never visited the fair. What was wrong with me?! The fair is awesome! On Sunday afternoon, I went to the fair with my family, which included my two year old niece and my 8 month old nephew. We had an awesome time.

The fair runs from August 8 – August 16th, and is located near Lakeforest Mall off of Route 355. It’ll cost you about $5 to park (unless you park in the nearby shopping center and walk a couple blocks), and $8 admission (kids under 2 get in free). At first, I thought it was quite pricy for a fair, but once you enter, you see that your money is well spent. They offer just about any food you can think of, from the basic funnel cake and hot dog to burritos and low mein. All ages are guaranteed to have a good time as the fair has numerous rides in the front, and hundreds of farm animals in the back. What’s an agricultural fair without animals?!

The local farmers take pride in what they do. And we as a community should feel obliged to support them in their efforts. Local firemen and policeman share in the fair too, and will give you and your kids some great safety advice and even a little tour of a real fire truck. A few local musicians sell their music there as well. My niece especially loved the Peruvian guy who drew crowds while playing his native flutes.

Stop by the fair before it’s too late. Support your community. You’ll have a great time, and maybe even learn about farming in the process!


[Montgomery County Agricultural Fair Official Site]


3 comments:

BipolarBunny said...

I grew up in Gaithersburg. I love the fair!!!

Joellyn said...

Great pics!

Anonymous said...

You know...I don't think I've ever been on the rides at the fair...not really sure I'd trust them. But...we like to go to the agricultural part of it...and it is always better when you have kids with you!