Monday, August 4, 2008

Eyebrow Threading in DC & Maryland

For all of you that are still getting your eyebrows waxed – tsk tsk. There’s a better way to get rid of those unsightly stray eyebrow hairs. I stopped waxing 3yrs ago. Everytime I had my brows waxed, I ended up with major red bumps, soreness, and peeled skin. I was probably allergic to the wax, but at the time, I didn’t care because I figured being ‘beat-up’ was better than having a Bert and Ernie unibrow. However, the last straw came when I ended up with only HALF an eyebrow after a bad wax session with an esthetician named ‘Ming’.

Fortunately, I found out about ‘Threads’ – a local threading salon operated in part by the always cheerful, always pleasant Sonya. This quaint Indian salon has expanded from two location in DC, to a newly opened salon in Bethesda, MD. If you’re never heard of threading, you can find a description of the process
here.

The ladies of ‘Threads’ are absolute eyebrow professionals. Your brows will be perfectly arched and shaped according to your facial frame. And if you’re new, they’ll gladly take the time to answer all of your questions. All locations are popular, and can get quite crowded, so if you’re in a hurry, you should definitely make an appointment. Eyebrow threading is about $15 and can take up to 5min for the entire process. Some girls get their entire face threaded, which can take up to 20 or 30min.

For the novice, threading can be a little uncomfortable. I have extremely sensitive skin, so I tend to get a little red after my session. But the redness fades after 20min. A small price to pay for perfect brows. The process is much less painful than waxing, and way more gentle on the skin. I never feel like my skin and brow hairs are coming off at the same time. And, at the end of your threading session, your threaded area is lightly padded with
rose water.

I normally frequent Sonya – but all the ladies that work there are proficient in their craft. This place comes highly recommended by the Washington Post and neighboring locals alike.

Here’s the contact information for the three current ‘Threads’ locations:
1424 L St NW, DC = 202.737.7710
1534 U Street, DC = 202.265.7710
8211 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda MD = 301.907.4545



4 comments:

Tiff said...

Isn't threading just a form of legalised torture?? :S

I prefer just good ol wax, done and dusted then calmed down with an ice cube. I know it looks like I've got sunburn above my eye, but honestly, why prolong it?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I'll have to check that out. I've been interested...and for only $15.00 in DC...that is an amazing price!! Though it will be quite a hike...I can actually walk there from my office during an early or late lunch! Which would be great! Thanks so much for posting about this!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post! I've been looking for a good theading place this one was great. I just came back from "Threads" and sonya was very nice & did a fantastic job. Much better than getting waxed.

Rosario said...

Stephy, thanks to you I am a threading virgin no more. I went to the one in Bethesda and did it! It was great I actually felt NO PAIN which was amazing. It actually hurts less than tweezing. Sonja did a great job with my temperamental brows. I will def do it regularly. You forgot the best part...they play Bollywood movies while you get threaded hehe.