Friday, August 1, 2008

DC Foodie Review: Café Chopsticks

This little Pan-Asian café is located at 1020 19th Street, NW (on the corner of 19th and L Street, next to Java Green). I’ve been eyeing up this place ever since I saw their “Opening Soon” sign a month ago. The décor is rather minimalist, but bright and clean, with a few hints of Japanese flare. The bright red umbrella and chairs outside are inviting.

Yesterday I tried Café Chopsticks for lunch and, sadly…I was somewhat disappointed.

Every time I try a new Asian style restaurant, I usually opt for the curry. I mean, really, is there any way to ‘botch’ curry chicken?! Unfortunately, Café Chopsticks did. First off, the curry chicken had a really strange dark brown color. There were veggies mixed in there (carrots and unions), but only 5 pieces of chicken (yes, I counted them). They gave me plenty of white sticky rice, but I was left wondering why so little curry and veggies? I’m not into Titanic-sized meals for lunch, but this place really skimmed on the portions. I was still starving afterwards. Is the economy really affecting you so much that you can’t afford some substance in your dishes?

The sad part is, Café Chopstick’s menu looked promising, with an array of familiar Korean and Japanese dishes like Bibimbap and Bento boxes – but unfortunately my meal fell short. I’m not going to rule this place out yet though. I always try food venues at least twice before deciding whether or not to return. I’m interested in trying their Udon and Ramen noodle soups. I hope to fare better with those items.

Everything on the menu is under $10, which is great for DC. My only advice to this new eatery is – you really must step it up on your presentation and food flavors if you’re going to compete with organic venue Java Green next door (which I’ve tried, and will review at some point), Nooshi (a block away), and Café Asia (on I Street). I still have hope for you Café Chopsticks!


No comments: