Monday, July 7, 2008

I'm Officially a Geek

The other day I found a huge box full of old comics – some X-Men stuff, but mostly manga (Japanese comics). I used to have a major obsession with Ranma ½ - a anime/manga series that was really popular in the 90s.

Finding that old box got me wondering if there were still any local comic cons or anime conventions that I could attend, and maybe sell some of my old stuff. I found out about ‘Otakon’, which is going on in Baltimore in August.

One big part of comic cons/anime convention is Cosplay. For those of you that aren’t familiar with ‘cosplay’ – it is basically translated “costume play”. You dress up as your favorite anime/manga character and strut your stuff around all the other anime/manga geeks.

If you’ve never seen cosplay before, here are a couple pics. Some of the costumes are awesome, and many of them are sewn by hand. I find it pretty fascinating.

For old time sake, I’ll most likely try to find a Ranma 1/2 t-shirt on EBay, or make one on CafePress for ‘Otakon’. And maybe I’ll make some cash selling some of my old stuff too!

No comments: