Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Good Deed - Flowers Bakery Café

I’m a regular reader of Washingtonian magazine. It’s basically my ‘DC-bible” for area restaurant reviews and events. I’ve noticed that whatever restaurant/café gets reviewed in there, instantly becomes an overnight sensation.

In February this year, I got the brilliant idea to recommend my favorite local bakery to the magazine. I wrote to the food editor at
Washingtonian magazine and told him that ‘Flowers Bakery Café’ was worth recognition in their magazine and that they should send someone over to check it out. I also got a few friends/family to write in recommendations as well. The editor wrote back, and told me that he would send someone out to investigate - but I figured that was just his standard response.

However, I just found out this past weekend that NOT ONLY did a
Washingtonian food critic stop by the bakery, they also took photos and wrote up a little review in this month’s issue of the magazine! I went to ‘Flowers’ on Saturday for my weekly éclair fix, and noticed a little Washingtonian plaque up on their wall and copies of their review available for patrons. I was so excited!

After telling the bakery ladies that I recommended them, they thanked me with a free slice of chocolate mousse cake and offered to give me a free cake for my next special event. Woohoo! I love free food! The ladies at the bakery also told me that since the review was published, they’ve had a major increase in business.

I’m so happy
Washingtonian followed up with my request. This bakery deserves recognition. Please stop by the bakery and try out some of their wonderful treats. You’ll be hooked. (Flowers Bakery Café, 14300 Layhill Road, Silver Spring MD – 301.438.6087).

2 comments:

el. said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Steph, and for sending your tip about Flowers to the magazine! I haven't personally tried the bakery, but I'll be sure to check it out soon. Sounds great!

- Emily Leaman from Washingtonian.com

Joellyn said...

Wow, your generosity got you a free dessert.
I've been trying to win a free case of Nutella from the Nutella Sweepstakes for months. Maybe I should be more generous like you, and not be so stingy about giving out the sweepstake's web address, for fear it decreases my chances of winning.