Tuesday, June 22, 2010

DC Restaurant Review: Rice Bar

This wonderfully chic Korean spot on 1020 19th St NW (between K St and L St) has quickly become my new favorite lunch locale. It’s located in the spot that was formerly known as ‘Chopsticks’. The food at Rice Bar is not only affordable, but absolutely delicious! I’m a big fan of ethnic food, and in a city that prides itself on international fare, I find that good Korean food is sorely lacking at times. DC is fortunate to have RiceBar, and I’m hoping it quickly becomes a staple around here (hopefully rounding out the overpopulation of Devon and Blakely deli’s that have been popping up everywhere).

The staff here is incredibly helpful and friendly, which is excellent because all ethnic food can be quite intimidating to a international culinary novice. Upon my first visit, the lovely Korean gentleman behind the counter walked me through all the combinations available for my ‘Bibimbap’ (this is a bowl of rice topped with a variety of cooked seasonal veggies, meat and sauce). He explained everything in detail, and told me which flavors would compliment one another.

I designed my own Bibimbap with white rice, egg plant, bamboo shoots, kimchi, asparagus, zucchini, spicy chicken, and ‘gochujang’ (red pepper sauce). Not only was this bowl incredibly healthy, but every item was fresh, vibrant and full of flavor. The kimchi had just the right touch of spice, and the spicy chicken was a nice compliment. Also, if nothing else, my bowl was full of color! In fact, ‘bibimbap’ blends together five colors in its dish – yellow, green, red, white and black. This is a tradition in most Korean dishes, and a tradition in which RiceBar takes seriously.

I plan on going back this week to try to the ‘donburi’ and sushi. This is a wonderful spot for locals and tourists. As I always say, skip the typical street fare (Potbelly’s, Corner Bakery, etc.), and try something authentic and exciting. RiceBar will not disappoint. Fresh teas and noodle boxes are also available. And, did I mention the décor was stylish, and the dining area was immaculately clean? The world music playing in the background was also a nice touch.

No comments: