Monday, July 27, 2009

Greek Artwork

I haven't forgotten to post photos of my trip. I'm still sorting through all the pictures.

In the meantime, below are two paintings I purchased from Greece. One, I bought in a souvenir shop in Plaka. This lovely Greek woman owned a shop full of typical souvenirs. As I strolled to the back of the store, I found a doorway leading into a small enclosed courtyard. The area was full of oil paintings - some still hanging to dry. The lady told me these were painted by local art students at a local art school - and she had yet to put prices on the items. She gave me a great deal on an 8x10 painting (only 5 euro!).

The second painting I purchased on the island of Poros from another Greek vendor. This older lady's husband was a painter, and she sold a few of his pieces at her market. I believe she told me this painting was of Santorini (another island I would love to visit in the future).

On my trips, I love when I can find authentic local art. These paintings came on canvas, and it's interesting to see the different techniques of both artists. I only wish I had the chance to buy more pieces.


1 comment:

Jeffrey Dale Starr said...

Very nice. Both paintings capture the incredible Prussian Blue of the Aegean Sea...