Monday, May 11, 2009

Restaurant Review: Aroma in Olney, MD – v2.0

A little while ago, I reviewed this semi-new restaurant in Olney, MD. At the time, I was still a bit undecided as to whether I could truly recommend this restaurant or not. Well…I’m here to say, I’m no longer “on the fence” about this Latin American style venue.

Over the weekend, I visited Aroma with a colleague. I still adore their lovely ambiance with its comfortable colors and low lighting. And the music is always on par. But to my surprise,
Aroma also revised their menu! Aroma still provides a wide variety of entrees (including some creative Asian/Latin fusion cuisines), but I was most thrilled that the entrees I ordered previously, were tweaked – and a few additional culinary surprises were added.

This time I tried the Ropa Vieja, and my companion ordered the Pescado Chino-Latino, which consists of fresh halibut, served over Peruvian rice with a mild-light sauce. Both entrees were phenomenal. The Ropa Vieja was creatively plated, with well seasoned black beans, white rice, a healthy helping of sweet plantains, and slow cooked shredded beef. Every morsel was a pleasure to eat. The Halibut was light, fluffy, and colorful - consisting of a variety of Latin spices and seasonings. We topped off our meal with a warm molten chocolate cake for dessert (which is still made to order).

The wait staff is, as always, ultra friendly, and more than helpful with recommendations from the new menu. This time I also noticed that Aroma has a new small outdoor patio, which is great for sipping mojitos on warm summer evenings.

This time around, I definitely feel as if Aroma has been redeemed in my eyes. I hope that more folks in town will stop by this restaurant (and skip the fast food joints). I’m happy to say that I’ll be visiting
Aroma more often. Next I plan on stopping by for a meal on a Thursday evening – did I mention they have a LIVE Flamenco band on Thursday nights?

Also, don't miss the $5 cocktails on Wednesdays during happy hour. You would be doing yourself a great injustice by missing out on their mojitos! (can you tell that's my favorite drink?)

No comments: