Monday, April 27, 2009

Back in Training

I'm in a Flash CS4 class at EEI Communications. It'll run today and tomorrow. I took Flash and Director back in college, when it was still owned by Macromedia. I adored Director, but hated Flash, mostly because it was tough using action scripts.

However, this time around, the instructor Mark Snyder at EEI, is making things a whole lot easier to understand than my ol' college professors. He's a wonderful instructor, with a vast knowledge of technology that far surpasses just web applications. I'm glad there are certain aspects I remember - like how to use timelines, manipulating frames, etc. What I'd really like to learn, is how to build sites in Flash - or - at least, building a smooth portfolio of my artwork.

To be honest, Flash really is tough. The action scripting can be overwhelming. But, I think I'm going to stick with it. More and more of my freelance clients request web work, and I'd love to be able to add some nice Flash pieces to basic HTML/Java sites.

Plus, in this day and age, Flash is where the "money" is. I've noticed than may employers prefer their designers to know web applications - namely Dreamweaver and at least some intermediate Flash. I'm all about being more marketable - especially in this economy.

Will post some Flash tips if I learn anything really cool. I'm sorry I never posted those InDesign tips. It wouldn't have done the class justice. You're better off taking a class by Michael Murphy, or doing some in dept reading on his website - The InDesigner.

No comments: