Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Most Annoying Person at Work

CareerBuilder has a list of the top 6 annoying behaviors at work.
I especially agree with number 5 – the person who talks super loud on the phone.
I also have a new o ne to add to the list.
#7. The Person that talks too much and lingers at your desk to chit-chat – even when you’re busy!

There’s a guy at my job that has a habit of coming to talk to you regardless of what you’re doing at the time. If you’re on the phone, he will wait to talk to you. If you’re locked in a train of thought typing an email, he will interrupt and talk to you. Even when you try to give him a hint that you’re busy – he’s totally oblivious. And 70% of the time, his conversation is not job related. It’s just mindless chatter.

Mind you, this guy is nice. He’s friendly. He just talks too much. Instead of just asking his question, he rambles, often repeating certain parts of the conversation over and over.

I feel bad, but sometimes when I see him come through the door, I pretend to be on the phone to avoid him making a ‘B-line” to my desk. Once I even excused myself to the bathroom before he could head my way.

I hate doing this – and I feel awful. I don’t often feel annoyed by people on the job – but this guy is obnoxious. (end of rant)

No comments: